03 October 2011

Green Pea Hummus


With two jobs, I often have to pack two work meals a day. I try to plan ahead, so I always have something fresh and substantial to take with me. Hummus is a lunch staple for me, and I often make a big batch at the beginning of the week. I portion it out and chop my vegetables ahead of time, so all I have to do is grab a couple of containers when I'm rushing out the door in the morning. It's not the most exciting lunch ever, but sometimes it's all I have time for, and it sure beats raiding my emergency Clif bar stash at work.

I found myself with half a bag of peas in the freezer, so they became the hummus of the week. It's a little lighter than traditional hummus, which I think gives me license to eat a ton of it.

Green Pea Hummus

2 cups frozen peas, thawed (run them under the faucet in a colander to thaw them quickly)
1 tsp. olive oil
3 Tbsp. tahini
3-4 Tbsp. lemon juice
3-4 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp. cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Puree everything in a food processor or blender (I use an immersion blender for hummus because it's easier to clean, and I'm lazy). Add a little water to thin it to your desired consistency.





2 comments:

B.A.D. said...

Wow, Pea Hummus. I would have never thought of that.

foodchain said...

I love hummus AND peas... This is such a creative idea!!!

Post a Comment